Monday, March 8, 2010

Rat City Roller Girls

I have always wanted to check out a roller derby event, especially after seeing "Whip It," starring Ellen Page and Drew Barrymore. Saturday evening, the Rat City Roller Girls had an event at Key Arena. A group of us got together and carpooled over.
My summary of the rules:

Each team has a jammer and blockers. The jammer needs to get out and in front of the pack before the opposing jammer to be the "lead" jammer. Then they earn points as they pass/get through the pack. They use their bodies to block and bump the opponents off the track. Elbowing, however is frowned upon. When the "lead" jammer is finished with their round, they tap their hands to their hips three times. This means the round is over and the points are added.

We watched two matches, with four teams. The last match was, "The Wenches" vs "Grave Danger". My friend Leslie and I decided to make it interesting and bet on the match. She took the "wenches" and I took the "dangers". We decide on an accessory from TJ Maxx, rather than money.

Leslie's team pulled away, but my team fought back. They kept the lead for the remaining period, but it got close again. In the end, the "dangers" kept the lead and WON! I picked a lovely pair of aviator sunglasses...Thanks Leslie!
My new favorite saying: "you win some, you bruise some." These girls are tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment